Friday, September 10, 2010

lobotommeeeeeekk!

Earlier, I was checking out movie trailers like Unbreakable (M. Night Shyamalan), Unstoppable, Despicable Me, One flew over The Cuckoo's Nest etc. The last one yielded a related video documentary about the infamous lobotomist, Walter Freeman. 

Yes, you read that right. INFAMOUS. According to the documentary, he specialized on this procedure only after a week of mastering it. Walter's son elaborated that during the very first time the surgery was done, an icepick was inserted into the patient's eye socket and jammed with a hammer into the skull and wiggled into the patient's brain. The patients develop black eyes after the procedure.

I watched the whole thing and I learned that even Walter's co-surgeons passed out if they didn't threw up during the procedure. I was freaked out while watching the actual videos of his surgeries. It was so intense, I was covering a part of my eye during the latter part of the video. You can see it for yourself and learn about the wonderful world of Psychiatry!

Also, at the beginning of the video, you will see the nurse prepping the very first patient to undergo lobotomy under Dr. Walter and how she underwent ECT or Electroconvulsive Therapy (wherein they introduce around 70-100 volts of electricity into the patient's head to induce a therapeutic grand mal or tonic clonic seizure).

I got curious as to what the movie, One flew over the cuckoo's nest was all about since my groupmates watched the film on one duty day we missed because we had our own completion duty at Fabella Hospital. It was the last day of our NCMH affiliation duty and it was a film viewing day. 

Tomorrow will be the start of our last shift for this semester. I will be missing NCMH and our cab trips to Mandaluyong and the once-in-a-lifetime experience we had there. It was definitely a different learning experience for me and the rest of my groupmates. This last shift for the semester, my best friend, Nikki will be assigned to the same Pavilion we were assigned to (Acute ward). Hopefully she enjoys the experience as much as I did. 

P.S. This is the docu. just the sound of the background music gives me the creeps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts, wag mahiya!